I “borrowed” this from this blogger. I hope that is ok. If not, please let me know and I will take it down. You see, I AM really a cheater!
I stole this one from another blog. Sue me.
No, no! Don’t! Just ask me to remove it.
I want to thank my peers for the attention they have given to my blog this week! I both love and hate you.
I am ever so stoked about the kind words and the traffic on my site. At the same time, I think the excitement is making me a bit weird. I’m an introvert who needs a lot of solitude in order to be worth knowing. All those pings and dings rocked my world until I started to become overstimulated.
I realized I was in trouble when I woke up last night to use the bathroom and interrupted myself in the middle of a dream about a conspiracy by Canadian pennies to ruin the U.S. economy.
They were sneaking over the border unnoticed the way ants reconnoiter a kitchen. The idea was for the scouts to infiltrate and for all the other pennies to follow in a steady trail until Canadian pennies spilled out of every unsuspecting purse and gummed up every vending machine, thereby causing the U.S. financial system to collapse.
What might be even more concerning is the fact that I was so worried I would forget this dream that I grabbed the only writing implement handy (my kohl pencil) and jotted a short note on the only available surface (my dental floss container). To tell the whole truth, I wanted to write on the mirror, but my husband Henry would have noticed for sure and questioned my sanity.
I had to write it twice. I was so tired that my first attempt came out looking like “Prunies,” and I was afraid I would wake up the next morning with no idea what that meant.
Because of my limited bandwidth, I have decided 1. to respond to both of these nominations in one post, 2. take a break from accepting awards and nominations, and 3. save time by making up my own rules so that I don’t have to quit my day job to work on my blog. (I am grossly exaggerating for effect. Did you like it? I really have only 85 followers.)
Without further delay….
Many thanks to Mogromo for nominating me for the Creative Blogger Award. If you are reading this, I hope you will visit her blog! She’s not just another pretty face. Mogromo will take you on a tour of Frankfurt, complete with quality photos and personal observations. It’s the next best thing to being there. You will be in good hands as she enjoys researching her subjects and sharing her learning. Mogromo’s blog also assuages some of my homesickness for a city I love but have not been able to visit since 2004. I am pretty sure she will be taking us to Amsterdam at some point (Mogromo, is this so?), so don’t miss the adventure!
The award calls for 5 random facts about me. Here they are–except they are actually three truths and two lies. Can you spot the lies? Make your guess and I will answer in a couple of days. (as of 8/11/15, answers are at the bottom)
- I wear glasses.
- I wear Birkenstocks.
- I wear decals on my nails.
- I wear out a lot of can openers (strong hands!)
- I wear a bikini.
Here are the original rules:
* Display the Creative Blogger Award logo on your blog.
* Nominate 15-20 blogs and notify all nominees via their social media/blogs.
* Thank and post the link of the blog that nominated you.
* Share 5 random facts about yourself to your readers.
* Pass these rules on to them.
I nominate the following blogs/bloggers for this award. They may choose to follow the rules. Or not!
- Moylom Enterprises (a single mother and a woman of faith who also blogs for self therapy)
- Erich Michaels (interesting and sometimes disturbing stories)
- Melanie Griffin (very authentic writing on spirituality, grief, social issues, and more)
- These Wings are Made to Fly (a newly-minted au pair from Europe heads off to her first job in Dallas)
- Shirley’s Heaven (the daughter of a mentally ill mother writes memoir pieces mixed with everyday reflections)
I would also like to thank Bumbi’s Mom for nominating me for the Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Me Challenge. I’m just getting to know her blog, in which she shares amusing parenting stories and some helpful tips. I hope you will pop over and have a look. Ahhh, I remember those sweet and sticky days of young children….I suspect the next time I have those experiences will be with grandchildren. (Note to my daughters: No rush, ok?)
Here are the rules she provided:
- Link back to the blogger who nominated you and answer their 10 questions.
- Add the badge to your post.
- Write your own 10 questions and tag 10 bloggers to do the same.
Again, I’m going to cheat and just answer her even numbered questions. You’ll be annoyed in short order because a one-word answer feels too limiting.
2. Favorite genre of music? My tastes are eclectic. For example, I like baroque music, some classical, The B52s, The Pretenders, bhangra, some Christian worship songs. I try different things just because I’m curious. Even if I’m not a total fan, I like to know what’s out there. I have told you that I am easily overstimulated. Since I work full time and live in a lively household, I often prefer silence when it is an option.
4. First concert you ever went to? I went to many classical music concerts as a child, but I don’t think that is what Bumbi’s Mom meant. I think my first concert as a teen was Amy Grant.
6. If you could have any job in the world, what would you want to do? I’m doing it: Wife, Mother, Therapist. I hope one day to have an essay or a short something published–at least once–so I can add Writer 🙂
8. Mountains or beach? If I can’t be back on the shores of Madeline Island prior to the 1990’s, then it would have to be the mountains.
10. Train, plane, or automobile? First choice: my own two feet. Second would be train. Third would be plane. Fourth would be automobile. I life in an area of the country vying for the title of Worst Traffic Nightmare, so I’d love to spend fewer hours behind the wheel of my car.
I hereby nominate the following bloggers to answer 10 questions (or however many they would like) if they choose to participate.
- Elan Mudrow (a mysterious! poet)
- Sober Living in Med City (honest pieces about recovery)
- Pint Size Fiction (short stories reminiscent of Dr. Who or The Twilight Zone)
- Lynette Davis at Memoir Notes (an information hub for all things related to memoir writing, plus great pieces on Black history)
- Nicholas Rossis (a welcoming author who is quick to support his fellow writers and who posts publishing tips, book reviews, and more)
Here are the questions:
- What drink are you most likely to order when going out?
- What is your favorite writing spot?
- What books are next to your bed?
- What is in your purse/pockets right now?
- Where did you go on your last road trip?
- If you could turn back time, what mistake would you avoid?
- What made you laugh today?
- Which movie would you like to live inside for a week (if you knew you’d make it out alive)?
- What question would you ask God if you were face to face?
- If I were meeting you for lunch for the first time, what description would you give me so I would recognize you?
Thanks for reading! I’ll talk to you soon!
Answers to Three Truths and Two Lies:
1. True: I do wear glasses.
2. True: I wear green paisley Birkenstocks.
3. False: I do not wear nail decals. I rarely even file or paint my nails. Clipper are fine with me. I am clearly missing some sort of womanly gene in the area of grooming.
4. True: I break can openers by squeezing them too hard.
5. False: NO. I do not wear a bikini. Do you know how much therapy people would need if I did that??!!